Sure, Dr. Ben Johnson, your local Paducah dentist, knows all about your teeth, but at Johnson Family Dental they know something about numbers, too.
More specifically, they understand the importance of oral health statistics and what these numbers say about your smile. For example:
- More than 99% of adults find a great smile to be an attractive asset.
- Roughly 63% of people say that they look better in photos where they are showing their teeth
- Approximately 74% of people believe that unattractive teeth can hurt your chances of business or career success.
- Nearly 45% of adults are unhappy with the appearance of their smiles.
- Sadly, 23% of adults feel that they look better when they smile with their mouths closed.
- Surprisingly, men with unattractive teeth or visible dental problems earn an average of 18% less than men with nice teeth.
- Similarly, women with unattractive teeth or visible dental problems earn about 11% less than women with nicer teeth.
- Smiling produces at least 4 positive health benefits including decreased stress levels, increased endorphins, boosted immune system, and lower blood pressure.
Statistics aren’t the only numbers that we are interested in:
- The space between your teeth and gums should only be between 1 and 3 millimeters. A depth of more than 3mm is called a pocket, and a depth of 5mm or more is an indication of periodontal (gum) disease.
- A healthy blood pressure reading of 110/70 is considered healthy or normal, while a reading of 140/90 or greater indicted hypertension (high blood pressure) a condition that can complicate your dental treatment.
- 2000mg of clindamycin at least one hour before dental treatment begins: these numbers indicate the typical prescription for premedication for anyone whose physician has recommended antibiotic prophylaxis due to a heart condition or joint replacement.
- 32 is the normal number of adult teeth, although many adults have had their wisdom teeth removed, leaving only 28 teeth, and if you’ve had teeth taken out for braces, you might only have 24 teeth!
Learn more about how your dental health stacks up against the numbers by scheduling an appointment at Johnson Family Dental in Paducah. Johnson Family Dental is conveniently located at 2913 Lone Oak Rd in Paducah, KY. You can reach us by calling (270) 554-2432 or CLICK HERE to contact us!