The new school year is almost upon us and it can be a hectic time for everyone. From fundraisers to sporting events, it’s easy to let your child’s dental routine fall by the wayside. Dr. Ben Johnson at Johnson Family Dental in Paducah, KY recommends these five tips for keeping your children smiling brightly from the first day of school until the last.
- Brush before bed. Ideally, kids should brush in the morning and before bed, but since we tend to rush in the mornings, a nightly brushing session is crucial. It’s the only way to prevent food particles and cavity bugs from attacking our teeth while we are asleep.
- Rinse during the day. Snack time, lunchtime, and unscheduled treats can cause the pH of the saliva to plummet. This means that the mouth becomes quite acidic and the risk for cavities can spike dramatically. It’s unlikely that a child will have the opportunity to brush during the school day, so rinsing with plain water can help to neutralize the acids in the mouth and reduce the risk for tooth decay.
- Stock up on water bottles. A juice box with lunch is a fun treat, but lots of water throughout the day is the best way to protect the teeth. Make sure that school-aged children have a bottle of water to keep them hydrated during the day. Children are more likely to drink water rather than juices and sodas if the water is readily available. Bonus points if your child’s water bottle is fun, colorful, and environmentally friendly.
- Healthy after school snack. It’s normal for kids to feel hungry after a long school day. Control the quality of their snacking by planning ahead and stocking up on healthy choices. Crunchy veggies and fresh fruits are best for a healthy body and best for a healthy smile, too.
- Schedule regular dental checkups. As soon as you have the new school calendar, go ahead and give Johnson Family Dental a call to schedule your child’s appointments for the year. Scheduling these appointments in advance will give you an opportunity to take advantage of teacher workdays and school holidays.
If you need additional dental tips to help your kids, give us a call at Johnson Family Dental in Paducah, KY. You can reach us by calling (270) 554-2432 or CLICK HERE. If you find yourself in need of a family dentist, Johnson Family Dental is ready to help. We are conveniently located at 2913 Lone Oak Rd, Paducah, KY 42001.